This calculator is commonly used to estimate your monthly payment, by filling in the following information and click "compute":
- Interest rate
- Number of payments, and
- Amount of money you need to borrow (the principal).
Entering Information into the Loan Calculator
You can compare information on up to three different Loan Options at one time. When entering information into the calculator, please use the following guidelines:
- Interest Rate is the APR from the loan rate chart. If the loan rate is 6.5% you would type 6.5 into the Interest Rate blank
- # of Payments is the number of monthly payments you will make to pay off the loan. For example, if the approximate term of the loan is 4 years or 48 months, you would enter 48 in the # of Payments blank
- Principal is the amount of money you want to borrow. If you want to borrow $7,500 you would enter 7500 in the Principal blank
- Monthly Payment is the estimated amount of money you will need to pay each month to pay off the loan
Comparing your loan options:
You can actually use this calculator to estimate any of these pieces by filling in the three known amounts and clicking "compute". For example, if you know how much you can afford for a monthly payment over a certain number of months and you want to calculate how much money you might afford to borrow, you can enter Interest Rate, # of Payments, and Monthly Payments and click "compute" to calculate what the Principal will be.